Friday, January 21, 2011

We ain't in no coffee shop, son! Why you confrontin'?

I hacked my friend Josh's Facebook as a joke( he really didn't care....we have the same sense of humor)....anyways i wrote on a bunch of his friend's walls....random comments. Stuff that Josh would probably say but also bizarre enough they would question it.

Well...big mistake. I got called out by a guy im not even that close with. Made me cry...long story short.
He decided he should "confront" me about my facebook hacking extravaganza and at first i was holding back the urge to laugh because he was super intense and dramatic about it all. He obviously doesn't know me or else he would realize i joke alot and prank alot....although the facebook hacking thing is only done to those i know won't get upset.

He was really serious in saying "how inconsiderate and selfish" i was. He went on and on....and while i took all these hits with a smile...i could feel myself wondering..."AM i really all these things? Do people really think i'm so horrible bc i hacked Josh's facebook?"... i suddenly began to panic. I have this awful need to be liked....i'm like Michael Scott. Yes, i just said that. But for real...i get super upset when anyone says anything negative to me or about me. This is possibly something to discuss in my upcoming therapy that is mandatory i attend for my counseling class. SO i bet you're wondering " Okay....why are you venting to me?".... I'm GLAD you asked ;)

You see, i am ALL about confronting someone who is in sin that you are close with and have a place with in one's life. However, i think it is highly important to do it at the right time, the right place, with the right tone and most importantly....with the right heart. Be gentle, kind and for the love of all that is good and pure....don't straight up tell someone they are a selfish person who only cares about themselves. Because even if all that is true, it doesn't matter how many " i just care about you" or " Im just trying to be Christ-like and call you out" comments you throw in there. You're going to completely make whoever you're speaking to feel like crap and miss the point.

The point is, even if you have good intentions....it doesn't mean its appropriate to call someone out. I think everyone should know that. It's not always YOUR place to do so. But if it comes time to confront another believer....just think before you speak and put yourself in their shoes. Don't just drop a bomb on them. That's never pleasant.

I learned a valuable lesson tonight. Always wear waterproof mascara and be gracious to those who are ungracious to me,.



Atleast he didn't ask me to get coffee...you know how i feel about coffee-tations. The worst.

1 comment: