Saturday, January 8, 2011

An ant in the shower

My shower, for some reason, is infested with ants. Every time i go to take a shower, there they are....gathered around the drain as if they have a death wish. Then they scatter once i turn on the water. You would think they would learn by watching all the other ants, whose lives i've taken. But no....they continue to gather around the death trap also known as my shower drain. And i have NO problem killing them....maybe i'm bitter but..

When i was 2, i fell in an ant bed. My parents didn't know at the time, but i was highly allergic to ants. They rushed me to the hospital when i became swollen with hives all over( i even turned blue). the doctor said if they had been 2 minutes later i would have died. Because of this lovely ant-cident i had to get a shot every Wednesday for three years. I cried every single time but once and i remember the doctor told me if i didn't cry i would get a toy ( how ridiculous is that??? dude i would cry now!) and i didn't so he gave me a toy which ironically resembled an ant. However i lost it in the car and Lauren( my sister) didn't believe i didn't cry when i got my shot even though i SWORE i didn't. ( still bitter...)

Moving on.... i hate ants. I know they're hardworking and what not and like thats supposed to inspire me to be a hard worker but they BIT me! How RUE. So yeah i might add that i even took a little bit of joy whilst i kilt the shower ants with my potato projeck( reference joke) anyways im getting distracted...but the point is i have never felt compelled to save an ant's life until tonight.

I was doing the usual.... filling the shaving cream bottle cap with water and SWOOSH there goes all the ants down an evil version of splash mountain, when i saw an ant struggling on the built in shelf of my shower. I noticed it because it looked particularly odd. It was upright, almost as if it was on it's knees ( do ants HAVE knees??), Suddenly a sense of compassion swept over me and i poured out the cap water and scooped up the ant and set it free on the edge of the shower. There was nothing special about the ant...and as you all know... i have a bitterness toward all of ant-kind and i don't care HOW hard that ant worked....it could never earn my love by building a stupid ant hill or carrying a huge crumb of a cracker. You know why? because it is inherently evil. Ants bite....they don't really care who you are...they just bite. Plus.....it has had fair warning. What is this ant doing in the shower anyway??? Idiot. Even so... i saved it. I chose that ant to save and it wasn't because it didn't anything to deserve it. But it was weird....in that moment i felt a God-like love for that ant.

Did i just blow your mind? I know....so deep.

After getting out of the shower i noticed the ant hadn't left. it was still alive ( but barely). I wondered why it stayed there. Why didn't it run for sunny Mexico?? But i was then faced with the reality that the ant is me. I go back to my sin. I know its destruction and yet i struggle to keep away. How can i judge this ant?? Its only doing what it knows.

So yeah....i had a special moment with an ant in the shower. Am i going to kill the ants next time i take a shower? probably.


But all i can say is....i'm glad i have such an amazing savior. i deserve to be down the drain.

1 comment:

  1. Great analogy...I should be down the drain too. Isn't he amazing! He still loves us!

    ReplyDelete