Monday, August 1, 2011

Phillip Wood

Working at "Because Justice Matters" is rewarding and i am happy that God's sovereignty placed me here. But might i say that some of the work i do is incredibly frustrating.

Right now i am in the process of investigating and writing 23 reports on 23 different "massage parlors" in the Tenderloin area. To do this research i must read many, many reviews from men who frequent these massage parlors for sex. This means i have to read the graphic details. I'm pretty good at guarding my mind for the most part but i will say that it gets really disheartening when i read reviews that say " these girl want to be here...they aren't trafficked and even if they are, take that up with the politicians! I just wanna have a good time". Really, really frustrating.

I think God has placed me in this specific area purposely as i believe he does everything he does for a purpose. For one i think i am able to give grace to these men easier than alot of girls. I don't judge them. I pray for them because its obvious they have brokenness as well as the people who are running these brothels. I think its easy to get angry at these people but God is really teaching me..


Have grace.

And that is something that my brother in law Phillip always tells me when i am in a situation with a person who its hard to have grace with. I really, really love Phillip Wood. He is an amazing brother in law. He has so much wisdom and love to give. He told me before i left that it would be hard and i knew that was probably true, but i don't think i felt the weight of that until i got here. Most days are pretty good and i don't have to feel so emotionally and spiritually burdened. The next two weeks though ( my last) are going to be the hardest because of this investigation. Just like a race i will finish strong with God's strength and i know i can get through it if i rely on Him.

Back to Phillip, if you're reading this, i just want to tell you thank you for playing such a huge part in my life and encouraging me to follow the path God has laid out for me. Even though its been quite a dramatic journey at times, its been worth it and i know this is what God has called me to. Now i understand what it means to "take up my cross" and really follow Christ. it would be so much easier to work in a different field but God hasn't called us to easy.

Thanks Phillip for being such an encouragement :) I love you and can't wait to tell you all about my time here!


Lastly, i leave you all with this verse of encouragement:


"Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?"- Luke 12:22-34

1 comment:

  1. Hurry up with all the research and reports and get home soon!! Miss You!!

    ReplyDelete