Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Week 1

So, i survived my first week in San Fran! It's only been a week but has felt like a month. This place will do that to you.

When i first got to the base ( YWAM), i walked into the drop in center ( the Ellis Room), which is where our homeless ministry goes on primarily. It was chaotic, loud and i hadn't slept a wink on the plane, so i was a bit overwhelmed to say the least. I went to my room and found a bunk ( i have 4 roommates) then one of the interns took me out to brunch. After that i went back to my room to read over my manual and i called my sister and my mom. I tried to sound happy on the phone but my attempts failed. It was obvious to both of them i didn't want to be here. In fact i said " i hate it here. I want to go home....now.". I didn't feel very welcomed at first and i was meeting so many people that it was difficult to remember names and while the city is interesting, it is also kind of a hard place. Ex: I saw a woman searching the cracks in the sidewalk for crack this morning. However, the week got better...then it got stagnant, then bad again. Yeah, kind of a rollercoaster. The ministry itself is awesome and i love what we are doing. It's just been hard finding my place and feeling accepted here. I'm the new kid.Maybe im just really awkward. I've been super introverted the past few days. Mostly though, this week has been filled with orientations, meetings and a bit of outreach here and there. I have a few projects i'm getting started on this week such as: flyers for an upcoming event, fundraising,updating our maps for prayer walks etc. We have prayer walks through the city and churches come in and we talk to them about human trafficking and then take them on the walk. I did it my fourth day and was shocked i could lead anything in a city so foreign to me!

The weekend was good. I got to hang out with my friend Tyler and some of his church friends at a Korean restaurant Friday, then Saturday the interns and Ruthie ( director of BJM) went to Sausalito, after hiking in Miur Woods ( i hate hiking....omg). Then Sunday i went to church ( took a bus...whoop whoop) and hung out the rest of the day with my new friend meredith. We went to FIsherman's Wharf and drove around...i saw a naked man. It was scarring. Whatever....thats San fran for ya. Sunday night we went to a charismatic church ( eh..) and then we had to take the subway to get to the base bc there were two women who needed help. It's a crazy life here! Monday was the 4th obviously, and the interns and i went to Berkeley for the day and hung out and i bought a souvenir for Courtney. Then we went to the beach and i didnt really get to spend any time on the beach bc i was in search of a bathroom. I found a thai restaurant and went in....the only way i could go to the bathroom was if i bought something. So i swallowed my pride and sat down and ordered rice...then i saw the bathroom was out of order, so i said peace out and walked a few blocks to a random place. Then we left and went to one of the intern's sister's home. It was really nice there. We grilled out and then watched fireworks and stayed the night. It was a good day.

Ive been toughing it out the best i can. But prayers would be nice. Its just been hard adjusting but for the most part i love it and i know God is sanctifying me. I know this is where i need to be and God is doing a work in me. Its just hard. I feel really alone at times. But i'll get over it eventually. I've realized that the ONLY way i will survive is if i rely on God. Otherwise ill be miserable ( not ALL the time...but you know). I need God more than anything....and im realizing that more and more.

Also pray for two of our women * Dana and * Mary who are battling drugs and homelessness.


Pray that i will be able to focus on what im doing here and not let anything get in the way of that. I can tell Satan is really trying to get to me. Especially in my personal life. So just pray for me and the ministry. Sorry if this post seems depressing. It is what it is though and i'm just being real with you.

1 comment:

  1. Just got off the phone with you! Miss you so much. Miss telling you to clean up the kitchen or stop leaving your stuff everywhere! Come home soon, it's boring here without you girl!

    ReplyDelete